Published on November 26th, 2014 | by David Frith0
MassChallenge Future-Proofs Wireless Infrastructure with Aerohive’s Next-Generation Wi-Fi Solution
Startup Incubator Relies on Controller-less Networking Solution to Support Global Accelerator Program
Aerohive Networks ® (NYSE: HIVE), a leader in controller-less Wi-Fi and cloud-managed mobile networking, today announced that MassChallenge, the largest startup incubator based in Boston, has deployed Aerohive’s secure wireless networking solution to support its global accelerator program and annual startup competition.
- Founded in 2010, MassChallenge is the largest Boston startup incubator with a unique model to support entrepreneurs including an annual, global accelerator program and startup competition. MassChallenge is designed to help early-stage entrepreneurs succeed with a variety of corporate sponsorships funded by government agencies, law firms, universities and other community organizations.
- With a network of nearly 500 alumni startups, having raised over $550M in funding and created over 4,000 jobs across a diverse range of industries, MassChallenge is committed to maintaining the world’s largest accelerator program providing entrepreneurs with high-quality, personalized mentorship and connecting businesses with potential team members, advisors, customers and sponsors.
- Due to an infrastructure overhaul, MassChallenge was forced to move its headquarters to a new location in Boston, MA. Previously, the organization relied on Cisco Meraki for its Wi-Fi solution, but found the network to be unreliable with frequent dropped connections – unacceptable for entrepreneurs working to get their business off the ground. Additionally, the new office covers 26,000 square feet, has tricky physical constraints and houses over 100 startup companies, with a lot of interference from nearby Logan Airport.
- Faced with these challenges, MassChallenge quickly realized it needed to upgrade its wireless infrastructure to a controller-less, centralized management networking solution with Gigabit Wi-Fi that could meet both its physical and technical requirements in the new location.
- MassChallenge evaluated several networking solution providers including Cisco Meraki and Ruckus, but ultimately selected Aerohive for its cost-effective, cloud-enabled wireless solution and central management functionality.
- MassChallenge has deployed Aerohive’s HiveManager® Networking Management System for centralized configuration, monitoring and management, accompanied with Aerohive’s AP121 access points and AP370 access points to incorporate next generation 802.11ac to set the stage for future technologies. In addition, the organization is also leveraging Aerohive’s SR2024P and SR2148P switches as well as a BR200 Router for testing and backup.
- With Aerohive’s comprehensive reporting tools, MassChallenge can now prioritize traffic and applications, such as Skype for video conferencing. In addition, all employees and users can access a proprietary internal dashboard wirelessly, giving access to resources, presentations, curriculum schedules and videos.
- Since deploying Aerohive, MassChallenge has been able to provide secure, reliable wireless connectivity with quality throughput to all employees and entrepreneurs and ultimately, improving efficiencies across operations. As the organization expands globally, the IT team will be able to configure access points and send them to new offices, including its new UK office in London set to launch in the next six months.
To read the full MassChallenge case study, please visit: www.aerohive.com/resources/masschallenge or to see a video testimonial from MassChallenge, please visit: http://www.aerohive.com/resource-library#2526
Startups depend on three things: the Internet, a desk and coffee. If the web is not working, they’ll leave and work elsewhere, so Wi-Fi was one of the most critical pieces of our infrastructure,” said Roman Kern, director of systems and operations, MassChallenge. “Many of our participants have sophisticated wireless-capable devices and cloud solutions, and with Aerohive infrastructure we conduct the majority of our business on Wi-Fi across the board. We have improved efficiencies throughout all our operations, and are poised to meet any future Gigabit Wi-Fi needs of our entrepreneurs.
Share this story with your friends or work colleagues. If you want to stay up to date with our latest products, industry news and offers you can sign up to our monthly newsletters, keep up to date with us on Facebook or follow us on twitter @4Gon.