Published on August 30th, 2011 | by Alexis Argent0
Aerohive Networks Provides Wi-Fi Remedy to Support Mediq’s Global Expansion Plans
Aerohive Networks, the pioneer in controller-less Wi-Fi and cloud-enabled networking, has been selected to provide a Wi-Fi infrastructure for Mediq, an international company providing medical devices, pharmaceuticals and related care services.
- Mediq has approximately 8,200 employees in fifteen countries and is listed on NYSE Euronext Amsterdam. The company takes care of the delivery from supplier to patient, via three distribution channels: directly to people’s homes, if needed with the associated care; via hospitals and other care institutions; and via Mediq Pharmacies.
- As a rapidly expanding company Mediq required a Wi-Fi solution that could scale on demand, provide resilient performance, be centrally managed with flexiblity to adapt to future needs – all this without adding complexity and exponential cost.
- Initially rolled out at its Utrecht HQ in the Netherlands, the Wi-Fi network spans seven floors and is providing resilient wireless connectivity to consultants, accountants and guests. The solution is enabling users to access business critical applications including SAP, JD Edwards and Cognos via a mobile estate consisting of laptops, iPads and PDAs.
- Evaluated alongside Cisco, Aerohive was chosen because of its superior performance, management simplicity and its ability to cost-effectively scale; crucial in supporting Mediq’s ambitious growth strategy.
- The initial phase included proof of concept and roll out over three floors. Following the success of this, it was decided to roll out over the remaining four floors. The entire deployment was completed within just three months.
- Based on the success of the initial deployment, Mediq now plans to roll out Aerohive across the remainder of its branch office and warehouse facilities, and is also considering running VoIP over Wi-Fi in the future.
“As we expand, our IT infrastructure needs to be flexible and scalable to meet the increased demands of our business operations,” said Arne Hendricks, ICT supply manager at Mediq. “We see Wi-Fi as a key component in meeting these demands.”
“The Aerohive solution delivers the resilience and performance levels we require with the ability to seamlessly scale as we grow, and at an affordable price. Furthermore, with Aerohive’s management platform HiveManager, we are able to deploy, provision and manage the Wi-Fi infrastructure from a central point, thereby eliminating complexity and reducing costs,” concluded Hendricks.
Mediq is an international company delivering medical devices, pharmaceuticals and related care services. Care for the patient is at the center of everything we do. Mediq delivers via three channels: direct to people’s homes (Mediq Direct), via hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare institutions (Mediq Institutional) and via Mediq Pharmacies. Mediq operates in 15 countries; its head office is located in Utrecht, the Netherlands. The company was founded in 1899 and has around 8,200 employees. Mediq is listed on NYSE Euronext Amsterdam. Mediq reported €2.6 billion net sales in 2010.
About Aerohive Networks
Aerohive Networks reduces the cost and complexity of today’s networks with cloud-enabled, distributed Wi-Fi and routing solutions for enterprises and medium sized companies including branch offices and teleworkers. Aerohive’s award-winningcooperative control Wi-Fi architecture, public or private cloud-enabled network management, routing and VPN solutions eliminate costly controllers and single points of failure. This gives its customers mission critical reliability with granular security and policy enforcement and the ability to start small and expand without limitations. Aerohive was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif. The company’s investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Northern Light Venture Capital and New Enterprise Associates, Inc. (NEA).
For more information, please visit our Aerohive product page