Published on January 17th, 2013 | by Alexis Argent0
A quick look at the Ubiquiti EdgeMax EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti EdgeMax EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti Networks is a US based next-generation communications technology company founded in 2005. The Ubiquiti product range includes solutions such as Ubiquiti airFiber, Ubiquiti airVision, Ubiquiti Unifi, Ubiquiti MFi and the Ubiquiti Airmax, which focus on unparalleled industry leading performance at disruptive cost points.
Ubiquiti have Continued to bring to market leading wireless solutions with the eagerly awaited Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite which is now available at 4Gon.
The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, part of the EdgeMax series, is the first commercial indoor router from Ubiquiti. The device has 3 Gigabit ethernet ports and can forward line rate (3Gbps). The EdgeRouter Lite unit can process 1million+ packets per second.
So we unpacked the EdgeRouter to show you what’s inside the box. We will also look at some of the key features and technical specifications of the EdgeRouter. The EdgeRouter Lite is the remarkable price of just £102.93, a unit like this would previously cost thousands of pounds £xxxx. The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter is the first router that can process 1 million + packets a second for such a low price.
The EdgeRouter Lite has many great features, including:
- IPv4/v6 addressing, DHCP client and server,
- VLANs Static routes, OSPF, RIP, BGP
- Firewall (ACL-based and zone-based), NAT, QoS
- VPN: IPsec, L2TP, OpenVPN, PPTP client and server
- PPPoE client and server, bridging, bonding, GRE, VRRP
- Dynamic DNS, DNS forwarding, DHCP relay
Overall the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite comes in a clean matt finish and looks a smart unit. It features Ubiquiti’s EdgeOS Firmware, which allows users to have complete control and management of their network, thanks to the simple and easy to use software.
EdgeMax EdgeRouter Specifications
- Performance (Layer-3 base forwarding
- 1,000,000 pps for 64-byte packets
- Line rate (3 Gbps) across all three ports for 512-byte packets and higher
- CPU: Dual-core MIPS64 processor with hardware acceleration for packet processing and encryption/decryption
- Ethernet: 3 RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Memory: 512MB DDR2 RAM
- Storage: 2GB
- Console: 1 RJ-45 serial console port
What comes in the box?
- EdgeRouter Lite
- 12V/1A Power Adapter
- EU Power Cord
- Screws and Screw Anchors
- Quick Start Guide
The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter comes with an EU Power cable, however if you require a UK Power cord you would need to order an RB-290 pictured above.